Can Essential Oils Make My Flowers Last Longer?
We all love to decorate our home with beautiful spring flowers or send beautiful floral gifts to loved ones. Especially here in Salt Lake County, Utah when the snow has let up and we embrace the rainy season before summer arrives, we are filling our homes with fresh cut flowers from local flower shops and the garden out front. It always seems these flowers die faster and faster, leaving most people wondering.
“How can I make my fresh flowers last longer?”
No worries, we have the answer! After lots of research, trial, and error, we have discovered that a single drop of Melaleuca essential oil in the water will help your fresh flowers last longer!
Useful tips when caring for your fresh cut flowers:
- Cut the stems of the flowers at an angle. This allows the flower to soak up nutrients more easily by creating a larger space!
- Add a drop of melaleuca essential oil to a flower water mix (see recipe below). The melaleuca helps kill bacteria that grow mold and keep your water fresh!
- Use filtered water to reduce the amount of chlorine and other minerals or chemicals often found in tap water. Unfortunately, these substances diminish plant health.
- Change flower water and recut flower stems (just a tiny bit, a ¼ inch) every 2–3 days. A cut flower stem eventually seals up, preventing nutrient assimilation. So cutting the stems and adding more nutrients helps preserve the flowers life!
- Keep cut flowers away from direct heat and light whenever possible.
Here is the recipe to keep your flowers live longer than you ever have before!
- 2 Tbsp. sugar
- 1 drop melaleuca essential oil
- 2 Tbsp. apple cider vinegar (optional)
- 1 cup of filtered water
- Stir together sugar and Melaleuca in a glass measuring cup.
- Add apple cider vinegar and filtered water. Mix well until sugar is dissolved.
- Add the water mixture to bottles or clear plastic tubes.
- Cut flower stems at an angle a little longer than the desired length. Arrange flowers in the bottles or tubes.
- Change flower water and cut stems just a little bit every 2–3 days.
All of our flowers here at Dazio Floral are prepared upon order! We move our flowers from our fresh flower refrigerator as we fill your order! Whether you are buying flowers for a gift, home decor, celebration or funeral.
Our local Riverton flower shop is here to serve you with all your floral needs.Dazio Floral can deliver your loved ones beautiful flower arrangements forweddings,funerals,anniversaries,birthdays,get well,sympathy,love & romance, just because,new baby and more! Our flower shop has trained florists, effective delivery drivers, and fresh luscious flowers.
Call us today at 801-272-2242 or order online